Sea shipping is one of the oldest industries in the world: it’s originated thousands of years ago. Interesting facts from the world of sea freight based on material from Safety for Sea:
- Shipping provides 90% of international cargo transportation.
- At the moment, about 20 million containers are making their voyage across the seas and oceans.
- A large container ship can accommodate up to 11 000 containers with cargo. If you put them in a row, the length will be more than 70 kilometers.
- About 2/3 of the crews do not have communications in a deep see. Only around 10% have free internet access.
- Shipping is the most environmentally friendly mode of transport in comparison with airplanes and cars.